Contact Us: (617) 714-4375 |
Contact Us: (617) 714-4375

July 2015

Deferred Action Requests: No AILA Liaison Currently Available

According to New England AILA, Homeland Security is no longer working with AILA’s liaison to help faciliate requests for Deferred Action. Clients should work directly with their attorneys, without AILA assistance, to request Deferred Action at the local Homeland Security offices.

AILA recently informed attorneys: “UPDATE FROM OUR HSI LIAISON REGARDING REQUESTS FOR DEFERRED ACTION: Unfortunately, the Special Agent in Charge of Homeland Security Investigations has been reassigned to Washington, DC. Therefore, for the foreseeable future, HSI will no longer entertain requests for Deferred Action and/or Surrender Cases (to be placed in proceedings). When or if this policy changes, we will notify the membership.”


Shoplifting not always a CIMT (Crime Involving Moral Turpitude)

An immigration judge in Georgia recently terminated removal proceedings against an LPR (lawful permanent resident) who had been twice convicted of shoplifting in Georgia. See full case decision here: Shoplifting Not CIMT IJ Case July 2015. The judge held that the convictions were not CIMTs or aggravated felonies. The reason was that the statute (Georgia criminal statute 16-8-14) was divisible into two parts–one involving temporary, not permanent, depravation of property to the owner.

Immigration law is extremely complicated. It is important to closely analyze any and all removal/deportation charges along with criminal convictions (or other criminal history) that is the basis of DHS’s charges of removability. Make sure to contact an immigration lawyer if you receive any notice to appear in an immigration court!

© Copyright 2014 Law Office of Ellen Sullivan, P.C. This website does not constitute a representation agreement with Attorney Sullivan or anyone else at the firm. The information on this website is not intended to, nor does it in fact, replace legal advice provided by an attorney in an attorney-client consultation. Please contact our office or another immigration attorney if you would like legal counsel. Sitemap